Friday, June 17, 2005

OTHER STUFF

So many of you...okay, one of you, the only one who ever reads this, complained that I STILL have the picture of the hummingbirds up. Well let me tell you about the himmingbirds. There is a hummingbird nest in my backyard directly above my fishpond, it is about the size of a silver half-dollar and is now vacant. But, earlier this year is was the home of three hummingbirds, a mom hummingbird and two baby hummingbirds. When we went outside and got near the nest, the mom hummingbird would get anxious and fly away, or try to scar us off by flying close by us, but I think she got used to us once she realized that we werent going to gank her kids. anyhow, I was a bit concerned that when the babies were learning how to fly, that they would fall into the fishpond and drown. So far as I know, that did not happen, but I only saw one of the little hummingbirds flying around. A night or so after I posted that picture, the hummingbirds left the nest. One of them was flying around the porch and chirping...it eventually landed on the windowsill by my bedroom, my cat threw a fit, from inside you get get as close as six inches and she thought she was going to get a tasty little bird treat. Anyhow, it sat there and chirped its' little heart out for some time, and then finally flew away, and the nest has been vacant ever since...I am hoping that they will come bach again next year, because they were really quite cute.